Passion. Creativity. Photography. Music. Fire. Blood. Dreams. Life.

A Photographic Blog by Aimée Claire.

Saturday 14 May 2011

SlutWalk.

For those who don’t know, I’ve been getting myself involved with the SlutWalk Protest! I will write a separate post about that in itself, this is one really just to tell you all how amazing I’ve found it. I began debating with people on the event wall... and seriously, who knew I was good at debating?! Suddenly I found people started thanking me... and then suddenly I was getting asked to be interviewed/be in debates from the BBC and a certain newspaper! (Will tell you about that when I see whether the article is positive or not ;D)

I cannot explain how amazing it is to help with something where I feel like I'm making even the smallest difference. Comments from people thanking me for good debates, saying I've "enlightened" them, that I'm "incredibly learnt when it comes to this subject" and that I've "edified" someone quite considerably... people telling me I'm smart and have a wise head on my shoulders... it honestly feels like I've blossomed in the wake of this protest. It's crazy! I'm so glad to help the cause. I really love debating with people, and when they start to see new perspectives. It's like educating people. I feel all my hippie-esque-sex positive-liberal-freedom kinds of thoughts are finally paying off. I always felt incredibly lonely with them before. This is one of the most rewarding things I've ever really done in my life.



The woman who interviewed me today asked me whether I thought that the women of my generation found wearing "sluttyish" clothing liberating... and I said that liberation is completely down to the individual. What is liberating for one isn't for another, which is why freedom and choice are so important, and why it's important to try and not define liberation in terms of your own views, to tell someone what they're doing is not liberating is just oppressing them, because who are we to say what someone else finds liberating?

SlutWalk is about choice, freedom... a direct attack on slut-shaming, victim-blaming and on words such as slut; only ever used to abuse, dehumanize and demoralise a woman for her perceived sexuality; to attack these words and render them meaningless by showing collectively that a "slut" is a myth, and one that is not only damaging to women everywhere, of all sexual persuasions, but one that lets society ignore the real causes of rape and sweep them under the carpet.

I'll hold the rest of my speech for a separate post ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment