Passion. Creativity. Photography. Music. Fire. Blood. Dreams. Life.

A Photographic Blog by Aimée Claire.

Monday 13 June 2011

11th June - The Day of SlutWalk!

SlutWalk London was... a-m-a-z-i-n-g!
  
The day itself was sunny and pretty, the perfect day for such a show of solidarity and beauty. The atmosphere at the march was amazing, many chants going on, people of all different kinds, in all different clothes, showing up to help fight against victim blaming, slut shaming and against the perpetuation of rape myths! The reports are all slightly varied, but it would seem that a number between 4,000 and 5,000 turned up! The speeches were so inspiring and varied and all made a feeling of change kind of thump through my bones.

Near the end of all the speeches they had a thank you list for the people that had debated, my name was first on the list and as my friend Jo could tell you – I literally squealed with excitement and joy when my name was said from the main stage! I’m so happy to have helped with the movement in any small way.

I went to the after drinks for organisers and stewards that evening and talked to some very interesting people which was lovely. We were in this lovely dark Jazz bar in central London, the kind of place that would have perfectly suited being incredibly smokey before the smoking ban!

All through my experience with helping with SlutWalk, I’ve encountered many different kinds of people with many different ideas, and it’s been a really lovely time for my brain, haha. I’ve loved every part of it, the debates (even the ones that have made me want to bang my head against a wall), the people, the cause, the solidarity, the discussions surrounding sexuality... the feeling of change.


This isn't the end of the line for SlutWalk London of course! The campaign is evolving into Slut Means Speak up, if you want to get involved, keep an eye on the website... slutmeansspeakup.org.uk

Here's a wonderful clip to show you the atmosphere of the march...!




And a few of the articles that have been written about the day...

Slutwalk London: 'Yes means yes and no means no'!


No comments:

Post a Comment