Passion. Creativity. Photography. Music. Fire. Blood. Dreams. Life.

A Photographic Blog by Aimée Claire.

Sunday 25 July 2010

Last Tango in Paris.

I cannot describe how much I adore this film! I first watched it a few years ago after my mum told me about it and knew I had to see it as soon as she mentioned how much controversy it caused in the 70’s, (so much so the director, Bernardo Bertolucci was jailed for a while and the film was banned) and that there was an anal sex butter scene and mention of pig fucking. Oddly enough it completely let me down because by today’s standards; it’s not very shocking! Nothing that explicit was ever shown and I oddly found it rather sweet. However I do still think it’s amazing.



If you don’t know the film, it centres on the anonymous sexual affair of two people who meet by chance at an apartment viewing. She’s a 20 year old French woman just about to get married and he’s a 45 year old widower after his wife killed herself (played by Marlon Brando who I think it incredibly sexy old hehe) and they have the most bizarre sexual relationship... it’s completely anonymous, they meet in the apartment he rents and he stresses he doesn’t want to know her name or anything about her but they are still both very truthful in a sense, “In their cloistered world, the two are able to explore and reveal themselves to each other in a way that is simply impossible to do in the outside world”. My favourite line in the film is where she expresses how feels like a child again when she’s there.

I suppose it’s fitting that I would love this film so much considering my personal extremes, coupled with finding the freedom they seem to find with each other, escaping the realities of their lives and testing each others boundaries sexually to be fascinating. The film now has more meaning for me because of something I went through recently that wasn’t too different; however that’s not for this blog. Simply put, if you haven’t already; SEE THIS FILM! It’s beautiful, captivating, raw and moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment